Reasons why you might be experiencing orange or metal tasting / smelling hot water.
The importance of anodes in your hot water system
Anodes are steel core rods installed at the top of the hot water tanks during production to prevent rust and corrosion. Once the inside of your water heater starts to rust and corrode your hot water turns orange.
These rods, also known as ‘sacrificial anodes’, are surrounded by either magnesium, aluminium or zinc. They have been a staple of hot water heaters for decades and are very useful in preventing water tank damage and regular and expensive replacement costs. The rod will corrode instead of the water heater’s exposed steel through a process called electrolysis which occurs when two pieces of submerged metal rod react to a voltage. This protects the water heater from rusting and prevents the water from turning orange.
Getting back to clean and clear hot water
Anodes typically last between 3.5 – 5 years.
Once the anode has fully spent it fails to protect the tank which will start to deteriorate. In time, a rusting water heater will cause problems which are typically more expensive to repair than simply replacing the anode. Regular anode replacement ensures your water heater continues to operate as intended and lasts longer therefore saving you money in the long term. If your water heater is over 3.5 years old, we suggest you contact us and we can advise whether your anode may require replacement. If you supply us with the make and model of your water heater we will be able to determine whether a service call is required. Some anodes last longer than others, depending upon the material of which they are made, so a quick phone call will give us the information we need to make such an assessment.
For hot water heater service advice
Cheapa Hot Water Sydney
Hot water is our business. We are the Sydney hot water experts. All our hot water systems are competitively priced because we purchase large quantities direct from the manufacturers – a saving we can pass on to our customers.
The benefits of dealing with dedicated hot water specialist plumbers
Our experienced, licensed hot water installers, in fully equipped trucks, are on the road right now to ensure your hot water heater problems fixed quickly – today! We service all Sydney suburbs.
- Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we install over 4,000 hot water systems in Sydney homes and businesses.
- As one of Sydney’s largest hot water system suppliers, our enormous buying powers and ability to buy direct from the manufacturer means we can pass attractive savings on to our customers.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater installers have over 25+ years of experience each.
- We are accredited service agents for all the hot water heater brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot and more.
- Cheapa Hot Water is an Australian, family owned business offering reliable, old fashioned service.
- We pride ourselves on fast, same day service for all electric, gas and solar hot water systems.
- Free delivery of your new hot water system and complimentary disposal of your old water heater.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system today. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment.