Edwards solar repairs.
We were recently contacted by a Hornsby customer whose Edwards solar hot water system had stopped producing hot water.
Once onsite, our solar hot water specialist, John, ran a series of tests to assess the problem with the Edwards system.
One of the major causes of the problems was an ant infestation in the electrical components housing. This is a common problem we encounter with a lot of hot water systems throughout Sydney. Typically, the movement of the ants and their waste can cause the thermostat to short, stopping the hot water heater from working.
Ant infestation in the solar hot water system.
Most hot water heaters are warm and dry – an irresistible environment for ants to live safely and undisturbed.
Two common problems ants cause when living in a hot water system include shorting of electrical parts and insulation breakdown.
Inside almost all hot water tanks is foam insulation. Often made from polystyrene, this foam reduces heat loss thereby improving the water heater’s energy efficiency and saving money. Ants often eat through this insulation causing “holes” in the thermal lining, thereby losing thermal efficiency. If you open the access panel (usually at the bottom of the hot water heater) you may notice a sand-like substance at the bottom of the tank. This is usually a mix of thermal insulation, ant refuse and nesting material. See photo at the top of the page.
There were a few other problems with the system and, as one of Sydney’s busiest solar hot water specialists, we had the Edwards spare parts readily available so could complete the job immediately.
Additionally, there was a leak at the hot joint that John repaired. While the leak was minor at this time and not causing major problems at present, it did have the potential to increase at any time in the future. All hot water system leaks, no matter how small, should be repaired as soon as possible as they can very quickly escalate to a major leak that not only means no hot water but can cause damage to property.
Edwards solar hot water heater repair
- Attend the Hornsby property to repair problem with Edwards solar hot water system not producing hot water.
- Assess the site for safety and take appropriate actions necessary.
- Isolate the solar hot water system from the main power. Re-test load at system using an external device.
- Inspect and test the element for correct OMHS reading.
- Replace faulty thermostat.
- Replace 15mm RMS solar tempering valve.
- Fix leak on hot joint.
- Remove ants from electrical component housing and spray to prevent further infestation.
- Carry out further testing to ensure there were no further problems. None evident.
- Recommission the Edwards solar hot water system.
- Once load re-established, take a current reading.
- Clean up the site and remove any associated rubbish.
NO SOLAR HOT WATER? LEAKING HOT WATER SYSTEM?
We are solar hot water specialists, servicing customers in the entire Sydney metropolitan area. With 25+ years expertise, we’re happy to help and provide advice so you make the right decision when it comes to repairing or replacing your hot water heater. Our trucks are on the road right now, stocked with thousands of spare parts and replacement hot water heaters to get you back enjoying trouble-free hot water today.
Don’t hesitate to contact our team for the helpful advice you can trust.
- Call 0410 693 532
- SMS 0410 693 532
- Send an email
- Online enquiry form »
- Solar hot water system prices »
READ THIS! IT COULD SAVE YOU THOUSANDS…
Have you been told by a plumber or hot water company that your hot water system needs to be replaced – at a considerable cost? If so, contact the hot water specialists here at Cheapa Hot Water for advice. Over the years we have saved countless customers thousands of dollars by undertaking cost-effective repairs to faulty hot water heaters when they had been told they couldn’t be fixed. Don’t believe us? We can put you in touch with these customers for verification. A phone call to Cheapa Hot Water may save you thousands! Call 0410 693 532 to speak to a hot water specialist now.
Cheapa Hot Water Hornsby + Sydney
Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we repair and install hundreds of hot water systems in homes across all Sydney suburbs.
- We offer free delivery of your new hot water system and complimentary disposal and recycling of your old water heater.
- As one of Sydney’s largest hot water system suppliers, our enormous buying powers and ability to buy direct from the manufacturer means we can pass attractive savings on to our customers.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater installers have over 25+ years of experience each. We are fully insured and pride ourselves on our old-fashioned customer service.
- We are accredited service agents for all the hot water heater brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot and more.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste time and money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system today. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment.
Your hot water heater is an expensive appliance. Don’t risk voiding your warranty.
Additionally, most manufacturers won’t cover the terms of your hot water system warranty if it isn’t installed by a licensed hot water technician or qualified plumber. Hot water tanks are an expensive appliance so why would you risk voiding your warranty by installing it yourself or employing the services of someone who isn’t licensed?