Has the UV system on your commercial hot water system been serviced lately?
To maintain optimal performance of any commercial HWS, and to ensure the UV system is achieving the correct level of disinfection, it’s important to service it regularly.
Each component of your commercial hot water UV system has a recommended replacement schedule to ensure optimal performance.
A commercial hot water UV maintenance schedule
Recommended replacement time : annually (8,000 – 16,000 hours depending on type)
UV disinfection organisations promote their UV lamps as having a particular lamp life.
Although a UV lamp may appear to be working past its lamp life, its disinfection capability decreases due to a reduction in generated UV-C light. In general, a UV lamp’s intensity at the end of its lamp life has been reduced by 20% compared to a new lamp.
In addition to UV lamps being replaced, controller lamp timers need to be reset and UV intensity monitors need to be re-calibrated where applicable.
Recommended replacement time : every 2 years
The condition of a quartz sleeve plays a vital role in how well the UV light can penetrate the water or liquid.
A dirty quartz sleeve blocks UV light from reaching the water, reducing the UV intensity in the UV reactor, resulting in a decreased UV dose. This increases the likelihood of pathogens passing through the UV reactor and not being adequately treated which is especially dangerous in potable or food and beverage applications. Quartz sleeves may become dirty to the point that they cannot be cleaned after 2 years and they also become brittle.
It must be noted that quartz sleeves should be inspected at regular intervals during the initial operation of a new hot water system. This will give an indication of the cleaning frequency required and will establish if further pre-treatment is required to prevent quartz sleeve fouling. Another indication of a potentially fouled quartz sleeve is a UV intensity monitor. A drop in UV intensity may indicate a dirty quartz sleeve.
Quartz O-ring seals
Recommended replacement time : annually
The O-ring that creates the seal to prevent water from entering the quartz sleeve needs replacing each time the quartz sleeve is removed for cleaning.
This should be annually as a minimum requirement.
Failing to replace the O-ring will increase the chances of water reaching the lamp, resulting in lamp failure.
Depending on the system model, there may also be additional service actions required such as replacing quartz wiper blades. Manuals provided for each UV system model must always be followed.
- Commercial hot water heaters
- The different types of commercial hot water systems
- Rheem Guardian warm water system installed in a Sydney strata building »
- Rheem commercial solar and gas boosted hot water heater repair at Mosman retirement village »
For hot water heater service advice
Cheapa Hot Water Sydney
Hot water is our business. We are the Sydney hot water experts. All our hot water systems are competitively priced because we purchase large quantities direct from the manufacturers – a saving we can pass on to our customers.
The benefits of dealing with dedicated hot water specialist plumbers
Our experienced, licensed hot water installers, in fully equipped trucks, are on the road right now to ensure your hot water heater problems fixed quickly – today! We service all Sydney suburbs.
- Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we install over 4,000 hot water systems in Sydney homes and businesses.
- As one of Liverpool’s largest hot water system suppliers, our enormous buying powers and ability to buy direct from the manufacturer means we can pass attractive savings on to our customers.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater installers have over 25+ years of experience each.
- We are accredited service agents for all the hot water heater brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot and more.
- Cheapa Hot Water Liverpool is an Australian, family owned business offering reliable, old fashioned service.
- We pride ourselves on fast, same day service for all electric, gas and solar hot water systems.
- Free delivery of your new hot water system and complimentary disposal of your old water heater.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system today. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment.