No solar hot water when it’s cloudy?
We received a call recently from a customer located at Port Hacking in the Sutherland Shire Sydney who was experiencing intermittent solar hot water supply. They had trouble free hot water when the sun was shining but, when skies were cloudy or there were a few days of low sunshine, they very quickly ran out of hot water or had none at all.
Why don’t I have hot water when it rains?
First we need to explain briefly how solar hot water systems work… Solar water heaters absorbing energy from the sun’s rays in the roof mounted solar collectors and transfer this to heat water stored in a storage tank. For times when skies are cloudy or there are prolonged periods of low sunshine, all solar hot water systems come with a gas or electric back-up system. The backup system continues to supply hot water when the sun’s energy isn’t available or strong enough.
Solar hot water system backup repairs
When customers are experiencing hot water when the sun is shining but running out when it’s cloudy there is almost always a problem isolated to the backup system.
For our Sutherland Shire customer, a plague of ants had shorted out the circuit that ran the electric backup system – see photo below. After a few days of cloudy skies and rainy weather, the backup system hadn’t been kicking in to compensate for low levels of sunshine and they ran out of hot water.
Our trucks carry thousands of replacement parts for all solar hot water systems so it was a quick and relatively simple repair. The customer should now experience trouble free solar hot water during all weather patterns.
Read about other problems ants in your hot water system can cause »
For hot water heater service advice
Helpful solar hot water links : Browse our hot water tips you can make an informed decision about switching to solar.
- How solar hot water works »
- Types of solar water heaters »
- Small Scale Technology Certificates (STCs) »
- The benefits of switching to solar »
- Should you switch to solar hot water?
- How you can save money on your hot water bills »
- Which hot water system is cheapest to run? Solar, gas or electric »
- How reliable is solar hot water?
- No hot water when it’s cloudy?
- No solar hot water after freezing weather or in Winter »
The information on this website is of a general nature only. We do not make an warranties about the completeness, accuracy or reliability of this information or whether it is relevant to your specific hot water problem(s). For professional hot water repair advice specific to you, contact our Sydney hot water specialists direct on 0410 693 532.
Cheapa Hot Water Sydney
Hot water is our business. We are the Sydney hot water experts. All our hot water systems are competitively priced because we purchase large quantities direct from the manufacturers – a saving we can pass on to our customers.
The benefits of dealing with dedicated hot water specialist plumbers
Our experienced, licensed hot water installers, in fully equipped trucks, are on the road right now to ensure your hot water heater problems fixed quickly – today! We service all Sydney suburbs.
- Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we install over 4,000 hot water systems in Sydney homes and businesses.
- As one of Sydney’s largest hot water system suppliers, our enormous buying powers and ability to buy direct from the manufacturer means we can pass attractive savings on to our customers.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater installers have over 25+ years of experience each.
- We are accredited service agents for all the hot water heater brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot and more.
- Cheapa Hot Water is an Australian, family owned business offering reliable, old fashioned service.
- We pride ourselves on fast, same day service for all electric, gas and solar hot water systems.
- Free delivery of your new hot water system and complimentary disposal of your old water heater.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system today. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment.