We were contacted by a customer in St Clair whose old solar heat pump hot water system had stopped working. It had been playing up for some time and, finally, stopped producing hot water altogether.
Once onsite, it became evident to our heat pump and solar hot water repair specialist, Steve, that the old heat pump was 20+ years old. Spare parts for very old hot water systems are impossible to find as the manufacturers stop making them.
We discussed with the customer the options for a new solar heat pump taking into consideration their household hot water usage requirements and budget.
The customer decided to purchase a new Quantum 270 litre solar heat pump (model: 270-08AC6-290). The compact design of the Quantum heat pump suited the narrow outdoor area at the side of the customer’s property with room to navigate around. The 270L solar heat pump is suitable for average-size families and is an ideal replacement for an electric storage unit. It offers energy-efficient hot water production, reducing energy use and greenhouse gas emissions. The Quantum solar heat pump comes with a 5 year warranty on the tank, and a 2 year warranty on the electrics and refrigeration components (conditions may apply).
Within an hour or so, the new solar heat pump was installed and up and running.
Further reading: Solar heat pump prices Sydney »
Quantum solar heat pump repair and replacement service
- Attend the St Clair property to assess the problem with the customer’s old solar heat pump not producing hot water.
- Assess the site for safety and make necessary arrangements, if required.
- Determine that the old solar heat pump was beyond economical repair.
- Discuss replacement hot water system options with the customer.
- Disconnect and remove the old hot water system.
- Supply and install a new Steiebl Eltron instant electric hot water system back in the same location.
- Install all necessary valving, including new tempering valve, to comply with AS3500 Plumbing code.
- Reconnect to existing boost power circuit usually off peak 2.
- Adjust and reconnect to hot and cold pipework.
- Recommission the new solar heat pump.
- Remove and recycle the old hot water heater.
- Clean up the site and remove any associated rubbish.
- Collect and complete STC rebate forms and paperwork.
Further reading: Solar hot water rebates – claiming STCs »
FAULTY SOLAR HEAT PUMP?
As solar hot water specialists, we can assist with the repair, replacement and installation of all solar heat pumps including Quantum solar hot water system repairs. We can remove and replace your old hot water system and install a new one (Rheem or any other brand of your choice).
With 25+ years expertise, we’re happy to help and provide advice so you make the right decision when it comes to repairing and/or replacing your hot water heater. Our trucks are on the road right now, stocked with thousands of spare parts and replacement hot water heaters to get you back to enjoying trouble-free hot water today. Don’t hesitate to contact John or Steve for helpful hot water advice you can trust.
- Call 0410 693 532
- SMS 0410 693 532
- Send an email
- Online enquiry form »
- Gas hot water heater prices »
How do heat pump hot water systems work?
Did you know that heat pumps consume about 1/3 the electricity of traditional electric water heaters?
Heat pumps use technology to extract and intensify the warmth that is naturally in the air around us and then use that warmth to produce hot water. They don’t use solar collectors mounted on the roof like solar systems.
The heat pump consists of an insulated storage tank and a heating module. The heating module must be installed outdoors, but there are options to install the storage tank either outdoors with the heating module, or indoors separated from the heating module by up to 4 metres.
A heat pump works to heat water by transferring the intensified warmth from the air around it into the water, stored in the tank, via a heat exchange system that works in a similar way to an air conditioner.
When emptied, it takes time to reheat to have you back in hot water. Heat pumps draw less electricity than a traditional electric storage water heater, and in doing so, are more energy efficient. They do take longer to heat water, so consider a larger tank capacity to ensure you have enough hot water when you need it.
- Heat pumps are an ideal replacement option for an electric water heater as they will often use existing plumbing
- Heat pumps are a great alternative to solar where unshaded north facing or limited roof space is a problem as they don’t require the installation of roof mounted solar collectors.
- Heat pumps can attract solar rebates and incentives. Ask us for more information.
- Heat pumps consume about 1/3 the electricity of traditional electric water heaters.
Save money and install a solar heat pump hot water heater
Heat pump water heaters can reduce the energy you use and greenhouse emissions by up to 65%* depending on where you live, according to Australian Government approved modelling.
After installing a new heat pump hot water system, the impact on your electricity bill will depend on the tariffs you pay and the type of water heater being replaced. The majority of homeowners see the greatest savings on hot water bills when replacing an electric water heater on a continuous tariff.
Heat pump water heaters are recommended for connection to either 24-hour continuous tariff or extended off-peak, minimum of 16 hours per day.
- What’s the difference between a solar hot water system and a heat pump?
- Can a solar heat pump replace my current electric hot water system?
- How long does it take to install a solar heat pump?
Cheapa Hot Water
Fast hot water repairs to customers in all Sydney suburbs.
Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we install hundreds of hot water systems in homes across Sydney.
- We offer free delivery of your new hot water system and complimentary disposal and recycling of your old water heater.
- As one of Sydney’s largest hot water system suppliers, our enormous buying powers and ability to buy direct from the manufacturer means we can pass attractive savings on to our customers.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater installers have over 25+ years of experience each. We are fully insured and pride ourselves on our old-fashioned customer service.
- We are accredited service agents for all the hot water heater brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot and more.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste time and money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system today. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment.