NSW Government Energy Savings Scheme (ESS)
If you’ve been thinking about switching to solar hot water, we recommend you take advantage of the generous financial incentives offered by the NSW Energy Savings Scheme (ESS).
The NSW Government has introduced the Energy Savings Scheme (ESS) which offers financial incentives for households and small businesses who want to switch from electric or gas hot water to a more energy-efficient solar hot water system or heat pump hot water heater.
Not only will you benefit from the generous financial incentives offered under the Energy Savings Scheme (ESS), but you’ll also save money on your energy bills whilst doing your part to reduce your impact on the planet.
How does the Energy Savings Scheme (ESS) work?
If you replace your old electric or gas water heater with a solar water heater or heat pump water heater at a NSW address, the cost of that system may be reduced by the value of the Energy Saving Certificates (ESCs). This is in addition to the STC incentive available under the Federal Government scheme.
Under the scheme, the Accredited Certificate Provider (i.e. Cheapa Hot Water) then sells the ESCs in a similar manner that the existing small-scale technology certificates (STCs) operates.
These ESCs have a variable market value and their value can be used to offer a discount on the purchase and installation of a solar or heat pump water heater.
IMPORTANT: Under the ESS, your new solar hot water system or heat pump must be supplied and installed by an Accredited Certificate Provider (ACP). Make sure you check their qualifications first to ensure they’re registered in your state.
Solar hot water heaters and heat pumps covered under the Scheme.
The residential scheme is called the Home Energy Efficiency Retrofit (HEER) and covers the following range of heat pumps and solar hot water systems:
Replace an existing electric water heater
- D17 – with an air source heat pump water heater
- D18 – with a solar (electric boosted) water heater
Replace an existing gas water heater
- D19 – with an air source heat pump water heater
- D20 – with a solar (electric boosted) water heater
- D21 – with a solar (gas boosted) water heater
How many Energy Saving Certificates (ESCs) will you be eligible for?
The number of certificates applicable to the installation of a particular system model will be determined by what the water heater is replacing and your location (i.e. postcode).
Households not eligible under the scheme
- The replacement of an electric water heater with a solar (gas boosted) water heater as the NSW ESS does not incentivise new gas connections.
- Installations of new solar water heaters or heat pump water heaters in new buildings, or where there is no existing electric or gas hot water system.
- The replacement of an existing solar water heater or heat pump water heater.
- Any installation undertaken to comply with any mandatory legal requirement imposed through a statutory or regulatory instrument of any jurisdiction, including, but not limited to, compliance with BCA and BASIX affected development requirements.
For more information about the NSW Energy Saver Scheme and claiming your ESS Certificates, contact the friendly team at Cheapa Hot Water.
We can discuss your eligibility and what solar hot water systems and heat pumps will fulfil your requirements.
- Call 0410 693 532
- SMS 0410 693 532
- Send an email
- Online enquiry form »
- Solar hot water system prices »
Cheapa Hot Water Sydney
Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we repair and install hundreds of hot water systems in homes across all Sydney suburbs.
- We offer free delivery of your new hot water system and complimentary disposal and recycling of your old water heater.
- As one of Sydney’s largest hot water system suppliers, our enormous buying powers and ability to buy direct from the manufacturer means we can pass attractive savings on to our customers.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater installers have over 25+ years of experience each. We are fully insured and pride ourselves on our old-fashioned customer service.
- We are accredited service agents for all the hot water heater brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot and more.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste time and money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system today. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment.
Your hot water heater is an expensive appliance. Don’t risk voiding your warranty.
Additionally, most manufacturers won’t cover the terms of your hot water system warranty if it isn’t installed by a licensed hot water technician or qualified plumber. Hot water tanks are an expensive appliance so why would you risk voiding your warranty by installing it yourself or employing the services of someone who isn’t licensed?