How to make the switch from a gas hot water system to electric, solar or heat pump.
According to the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA), natural gas powers approximately one-quarter of all domestic hot water systems in Australia.
As gas prices increase, some homeowners are considering switching from gas hot water to an electric hot water heater, heat pump or solar hot water system. New homes are being built without gas hot water instead option for energy efficient heat pumps, solar or electric hot water heaters that use electricity generated by rooftop solar panels.
Gas hot water alternatives
Hot water heating accounts for approximately 30% of daily household energy usage. When buying a new hot water system or switching from gas hot water, choosing the right technology can not only save money on household bills but can also reduce your environmental footprint.
For people considering switching from gas hot water, below are the three popular hot water heating options common in Sydney households.
Half of Australian households have electric hot water systems installed, mainly because have typically been the cheapest to buy. Extensive savings can be made with the addition of solar panels or a solar collector. This will also reduce your carbon footprint and reduce greenhouse emissions.
Powered by electricity, heat pumps take warmth from the air to heat the water, operating much like a reverse-cycle air conditioner in winter. Heat pumps extract heat from the air outside, heating the water and storing it in a tank. Using smart technology to efficiently transfer thermal energy directly from the surrounding air into the water, means heat pumps don’t have to rely on direct sunlight or fossil fuels to provide the energy source.
Heat pumps use approximately 60% less electricity than a conventional electric hot water system offering significant savings on your electricity bills. They create less CO2 emissions than a typical gas water heater thereby reducing your carbon footprint.
The benefits of heat pumps
- Heat pumps are an ideal replacement option for an electric water heater as they will often use existing plumbing
- Heat pumps are a great alternative to solar where unshaded, north-facing or limited roof space is a problem as they don’t require the installation of roof-mounted solar collectors.
- Heat pumps can attract solar rebates and incentives. Ask us for more information.
- Heat pumps consume about 1/3 the electricity of traditional electric water heaters.
** Save money with Government rebates **
Generous hot water rebates now available mean there has never been a better time to make the switch from gas to an energy-efficient heat pump. The solar rebate schemes were introduced to provide financial incentives to NSW residents and small business owners when they install energy-efficient appliances and equipment.
Solar water heaters work by absorbing energy from the sun’s rays in the roof mounted solar collectors and transferring this to heat water stored in the tank.
Ground-mounted direct systems rely on an inbuilt circulator to push the water through the system, whereas roof-mounted systems rely on a natural ‘thermosiphon’ effect. Water passes through the solar collector where it is heated, and then moves out of the collector and into the tank. The tank gradually gets hotter until the water reaches its maximum stored temperature. Indirect systems use a special heating fluid, rather than water to absorb heat from the collectors. The heat is transferred to the water in the tank via a heat exchanger.
“If I switch to solar hot water, will I have hot water if it’s cloudy?”
Gas or electric backup means you never run out of solar hot water. Solar water heaters work by absorbing energy from the sun’s rays in the roof mounted solar collectors and transferring this to heat water stored in the tank. Ground mounted direct systems rely on an inbuilt circulator to push the water through the system, whereas roof mounted systems rely on a natural ‘thermosiphon’ effect. Water passes through the solar collector where it is heated, then moves out of the collector and into the tank. The tank gradually gets hotter until the water reaches its maximum stored temperature.
** Save money with Government rebates **
Generous hot water rebates now available mean there has never been a better time to make the switch from gas to a solar hot water system. The solar rebate schemes were introduced to provide financial incentives to NSW residents and small business owners when they install energy-efficient appliances and equipment.
Switching from gas hot water
Switching from a gas hot water system to electric or solar hot water is easy with help from our hot water specialists.
It is essential that the process is completed by a licensed hot water specialist or plumber with hot water expertise to ensure safe installation. It is also important to seek the right advice to ensure your new hot water system will cater to the hot water needs of your household now and in the future.
- Our specialists will assess your current gas hot water usage and advise on a suitable replacement system that will meet your household’s hot water demands – now and well into the future.
- The location of your hot water system will need to be assessed to ensure your solar hot water system receives adequate sun exposure or that your heat pump can extract adequate heat from the air outside. Heat pump water heaters generate condensation during operation. Proper ventilation and drainage systems need to be set up to manage this moisture effectively.
- We’ll discuss Government rebates and incentives that you can take advantage of to reduce the purchase and installation cost of your new hot water system.
- Some hot water heaters may require a dedicated electrical circuit and a sufficient power supply. Our hot water specialists can provide advice in this regard. Importantly, we are licensed to undertake all plumbing and electrical work necessary so you don’t have to outsource to multiple trades.
- We will correctly insulate any exposed hot water pipes and ensure all connections and joints are properly sealed to prevent heat loss and improve overall efficiency.
- We ensure your new hot water heater is installed in accordance with Australian plumbing codes and other important regulations.
- We are preferred installers for all hot water heater makes and models. A hot water system is an expensive appliance so don’t risk voiding your warranty by using unlicensed people for installation.
- Once your new hot water system has been installed, we will run a series of tests to ensure it is operating correctly. This prevents leaks and verifies the heating performance. If required, adjustments can then be made accordingly.
- We will take away and recycle your old gas hot water heater.
WANT TO SWITCH FROM GAS HOT WATER?
For advice on switching from gas hot water to an electric hot water heater, solar system or heat pump, contact our friendly team for advice. We are accredited hot water system installers for all brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot, Chromagen and more.
Contact our friendly team for friendly and helpful advice.
- Call 0410 693 532
- SMS 0410 693 532
- Send an email
- Online enquiry form »
- Solar hot water system prices »
Hot Water Specialists Sydney
Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we install and repair hundreds of hot water systems in homes and businesses across the entire Sydney area.
Don’t waste money employing multiple trades.
Did you know that a new hot water system is a big investment and often needs the installation and setup of plumbing, gas and electric components? This requires the experience and qualifications of both a licensed plumber and a licensed electrician.
At Cheapa Hot Water, we are licensed and qualified to undertake any plumbing and electrical work required to complete your hot water system installation or repair quickly, and within budget.
Plumbers who do not specialise in the installation of hot water heaters may need to outsource the electrical work required to another tradesperson, thereby holding up your hot water system repair or installation, adding extra expense due to additional call out fees charged by employing two tradespeople.
Don’t risk voiding your hot water heater warranty
Additionally, most manufacturers won’t cover the terms of your hot water system warranty if it isn’t installed by a licensed hot water technician or a qualified plumber. Hot water tanks are an expensive appliance so why would you risk voiding your warranty by installing it yourself or employing the services of someone who isn’t licensed?
Save money today by calling our Sydney hot water experts. Our trucks are on the road right now stocked with thousands of spare parts to repair and service your hot water heater quickly.
Benefits to our residential customers
Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we repair and install thousands of hot water systems in homes across Sydney.
- We are a Sydney hot water company and can quickly provide onsite assistance to customers and businesses.
- We offer free delivery of your new hot water system and complimentary disposal and recycling of your old water heater (where applicable).
- As one of Sydney’s largest hot water system suppliers, our enormous buying powers and ability to buy direct from the manufacturer means we can pass attractive savings on to our customers.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater installers have over 25+ years of experience each. We are fully insured and pride ourselves on our old-fashioned customer service.
- We are accredited service agents for all the hot water heater brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot, Chromagen and more.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste time and money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system quickly. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment. Ask about same-day assistance.
- We supply a huge range of gas, solar and electric HWS and guarantee to beat any genuine hot water system price with fast and free delivery.