Gas or electric backup means you never run out of solar hot water
Solar water heaters work by absorbing energy from the sun’s rays in the roof mounted solar collectors and transferring this to heat water stored in the tank.
Ground mounted direct systems rely on an inbuilt circulator to push the water through the system, whereas roof mounted systems rely on a natural ‘thermosiphon’ effect. Water passes through the solar collector where it is heated, then moves out of the collector and into the tank. The tank gradually gets hotter until the water reaches its maximum stored temperature.
How does gas boosted solar hot water work?
- Cold water is pumped up to the solar collectors.
- Cold water enters the roof top collectors.
- The sun heats up the water in the roof top collection.
- Heated water exits the solar collectors and is stored in the hot water tank.
- Water leaves the hot water tank and passes through a gas (or electric) booster.
- Hot water is delivered to your tap or shower.
All solar hot water systems come with a gas or electric back-up system that will continue to supply hot water during cloudy days and prolonged periods of low sunshine. If there is a problem with the backup systems then, on cloudy days when there isn’t enough sunshine to heat the water via the suns rays, you are likely to run out or experience no hot water. Then, when the sun returns, so does your hot water supply.
When we experience weeks of sunny skies and warm temperatures, many people don’t even realise there is a problem with their solar hot water system. It is only once we have a few days of inclement weather that this is brought to their attention and hence we receive an influx of calls from perplexed solar hot water users.
The problem is usually not with the entire system, just the gas or electric backup. Typically the repair involves replacing the broken or worn parts and the customer is back experiencing trouble-free solar hot water – rain, hail or shine!
Need advice on solar hot water?
If you have questions about what solar hot water system will best suit the needs of your household, contact our solar specialists for advice. We’re here to help.
Why we’re the Sydney solar hot water specialists
Hot water is our business and that’s why, when you deal with our highly-skilled, solar hot water specialists, you’re assured of service and expertise that is second to none.
- Hot water is our business and we are Sydney’s leading solar hot water specialists.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater repair specialists each have over 25+ years experience.
- We are accredited service agents for all solar hot water brands including Rheem, Apricus, Quantum, Edwards Solar, Solahart and more.
- We are a local, Australian-owned, family-run business offering reliable, old fashioned service.
- If your current solar hot water heater is beyond repair we offer free delivery of a new system and complimentary disposal (and recycling) of your old water heater.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system today. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment.
SOLAR HOT WATER TIPS
For helpful advice about choosing the right solar hot water system, use the quick links below:
- How does solar hot water work?
- Solar hot water troubleshooting and repairs »
- What are the different types of solar hot water systems?
- Solar hot water rebates – claiming STCs »
- How long does it take to install a solar hot water system?
- How does electric or gas boosted solar hot water work?
- We saved a customer $7,000 on her solar hot water heater repair »
- Help, my solar hot water backup system is not working »
- No hot water in cold weather or winter?
- Solar hot water system replacement service »
- Why don’t I have hot water when it’s cloudy?
- How reliable is solar hot water?