No solar hot water? Running out of solar hot water?
If you live in Sydney, using solar energy to heat hot water is an effective way to use our abundant sunshine saving money on your household bills and reducing your greenhouse gas emissions.
Solar water heaters work by absorbing energy from the sun’s rays in the roof-mounted solar collectors and transferring this to heat water stored in the tank. Ground-mounted direct systems rely on an inbuilt circulator to push the water through the system, whereas roof-mounted systems rely on a natural ‘thermosiphon’ effect. Water passes through the solar collector where it is heated, then moves out of the collector and into the tank. The tank gradually gets hotter until the water reaches its maximum stored temperature.
Collector panels should be located on the roof, preferably on a north-facing section at an angle of around 35 degrees above horizontal, and free from any shading. Angles as low as 15 degrees may be acceptable, but winter performance of the system will be decreased and more panels may be needed to accumulate enough power.
The location of the storage cylinder either on the roof or at ground level should be close to the main hot water outlets (usually in the kitchen and bathroom). All solar systems come with a gas, off-peak electric or solid fuel booster to supply hot water during periods of low sunshine.
The key components of a solar hot water system
Generally, solar hot water systems consist of 8 key components that work together to capture solar energy and provide your home or workplace with trouble-free hot water. Understanding the different parts that work together cohesively to deliver reliable hot water, can help with troubleshooting why you have no hot water or have inconsistent hot water delivery.
1. Solar Collectors
The solar collectors are panels or tubes installed on the roof (or another sun-exposed area) to capture solar energy. These panels absorb sunlight and convert it into heat which is then transferred to the heat transfer fluid.
2. Heat Transfer Fluid
The heat transfer fluid may include water or a glycol-water mixture. This fluid circulates through the solar collectors and carries the captured heat to the storage tank or heat exchanger.
3. Solar Pump
The solar pump is responsible for circulating the heat transfer fluid between the solar collectors and the storage tank or heat exchanger. It ensures efficient heat transfer by maintaining fluid flow. By utilising a solar pump to circulate the heat transfer fluid, the solar hot water system maximises the efficiency of heat transfer, ensuring that the heated fluid reaches the storage tank and effectively warms the water. This process allows renewable solar energy to provide hot water, reducing reliance on conventional energy sources and lowering energy costs.
4. Storage Tank
The storage tank is where the hot water is collected and stored for your use. This can be a dedicated tank or an integrated storage and heat exchanger unit. The heat transfer fluid heats the water by releasing its heat to the water in the tank through a heat exchanger.
5. Backup Heating System
In some solar hot water systems, a backup heating system supplements the solar energy to provide hot water when there is insufficient solar energy available such as cloudy or rainy days. This backup system can be electricity or gas powered.
6. Temperature and Pressure Sensors and Controllers
The temperature and pressure sensors and controllers monitor and regulate the temperature and pressure within the system. They help maintain safe and efficient operation by ensuring the system operates within specified limits.
7. Plumbing and Pipework
Plumbing and pipework connect all these components of the system. They circulate the heat transfer fluid between the solar collectors, storage tank, and other system parts.
Insulation is crucial to minimise heat loss. Insulation is typically applied to the pipes and storage tank.
Solar hot water troubleshooting and repairs
Have you got a problem with your solar hot water system? Contact our solar specialists for expert advice and fast troubleshooting and repairs.
We are accredited service agents for all electric, gas and solar hot water heater brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot, Chromagen and more.
Contact our friendly team for friendly and helpful advice.
- Call 0410 693 532
- SMS 0410 693 532
- Send an email
- Online enquiry form »
- Solar hot water system prices »
More solar hot water troubleshooting tips
- How does solar hot water work?
- What are the different types of solar hot water systems?
- Solar hot water rebates – claiming STCs »
- How long does it take to install a solar hot water system?
- How does electric or gas boosted solar hot water work?
- We saved a customer $7,000 on her solar hot water heater repair »
- Help, my solar hot water backup system is not working »
- No hot water in cold weather or winter?
- Solar hot water system replacement service »
- Why don’t I have hot water when it’s cloudy?
- How reliable is solar hot water?
Cheapa Solar Hot Water Sydney
Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we install and repair hundreds of hot water systems in homes and businesses across the entire Sydney area.
Don’t waste money employing multiple trades.
Did you know that a new hot water system is a big investment and often needs the installation and setup of plumbing, gas and electric components? This requires the experience and qualifications of both a licensed plumber and a licensed electrician.
At Cheapa Hot Water, we are licensed and qualified to undertake any plumbing and electrical work required to complete your hot water system installation or repair quickly, and within budget.
Plumbers who do not specialise in the installation of hot water heaters may need to outsource the electrical work required to another tradesperson, thereby holding up your hot water system repair or installation, adding extra expense due to additional call out fees charged by employing two tradespeople.
Don’t risk voiding your hot water heater warranty
Additionally, most manufacturers won’t cover the terms of your hot water system warranty if it isn’t installed by a licensed hot water technician or qualified plumber. Hot water tanks are an expensive appliance so why would you risk voiding your warranty by installing it yourself or employing the services of someone who isn’t licensed?
Save money today by calling our Sydney hot water experts. Our trucks are on the road right now stocked with thousands of spare parts to repair and service your hot water heater quickly.
Benefits to our residential customers
Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we repair and install thousands of hot water systems in homes across Sydney.
- We are a Sydney hot water company and can quickly provide onsite assistance to customers and businesses.
- We offer free delivery of your new hot water system and complimentary disposal and recycling of your old water heater (where applicable).
- As one of Sydney’s largest hot water system suppliers, our enormous buying powers and ability to buy direct from the manufacturer means we can pass attractive savings on to our customers.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater installers have over 25+ years of experience each. We are fully insured and pride ourselves on our old-fashioned customer service.
- We are accredited service agents for all the hot water heater brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot, Chromagen and more.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste time and money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system quickly. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment. Ask about same-day assistance.
- We supply a huge range of gas, solar and electric HWS and guarantee to beat any genuine hot water system price with fast and free delivery.