We received a call from a customer in Lane Cove, on Sydney’s Upper North Shore, who was concerned their old solar hot water system wasn’t working correctly. They often ran out of hot water and it was taking longer than usual for the water to heat up again.
Once onsite and on the roof, our solar specialist John could see immediately that the existing hot water system was 20-30 years old. Unfortunately, replacement parts for very old hot water systems are often obsolete, unavailable or, sadly, so expensive it’s more cost effective to install a new system. This was the case with this old rooftop solar hot water system. Thankfully, the customer had decades of solar hot water usage so the original solar system had paid for itself many times over.
Solar hot water system upgrade
When replacing an old hot water system with a new one, this provides the customer with the perfect opportunity to upgrade to a more energy efficient model, one that caters to the demands of their household hot water usage now and into the future.
When we advise customers of the best hot water system to suit their needs, we not only discuss their hot water demands now but also their projected usage in the future. For example, as small children grow into teenagers, they invariably use more hot water. Additionally, we don’t just consider the hot water usage of the ‘humans’ in the house but those of appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers which can use as much hot water as one person.
After discussing the customer’s hot water usage requirements, we recommended a new Rheem solar hot water system (model 52L300/2L) with electric backup. The new solar system was installed in the same location as the previous one so no additional piping or electrical work was required, saving both time and money.
- Attend the Lane Cove property to assess problems with existing solar hot water system.
- Inspect the site for safety and make appropriate arrangements
- Disconnect the old solar hot water system from the electrical supply at the meter.
- Retest for load at system with external device.
- Drain and remove the old solar hot water system from the roof.
- Supply and install a new Rheem solar hot water system (model 52L300/2L) in the same position as the original.
- Install all necessary valving, including new tempering valve, to comply with AS3500 Plumbing code.
- Reconnect to existing boost power circuit.
- Adjust and re-connect to hot and cold pipework.
- Commission and test system.
- Collect and complete STC forms and paperwork, as required.
- Dispose of and recycle the old tank.
- Clean up the site and remove any associated rubbish.
SOLAR HOT WATER PROBLEMS?
Based in Warriewood, we are your local solar hot water heater repair and installation specialists servicing the Northern Beaches and North Shore suburbs. With 25+ years expertise, we’re happy to help and provide advice so you make the right decision when it comes to fixing or replacing your hot water heater. Our trucks are on the road right now, stocked with thousands of spare parts and replacement hot water heaters to get you back enjoying trouble free hot water today.
Don’t hesitate to contact our team for helpful advice you can trust.
SOLAR HOT WATER TROUBLESHOOTING
- How long does it take to install a solar hot water system?
- How does electric or gas boosted solar hot water work?
- The diffferent types of solar hot water systems »
- Solar hot water system comparison »
- Help, my solar backup system is not working »
- No solar hot water in cold weather and/or winter?
Why we’re the solar hot water specialists
Hot water is our business and that’s why, when you deal with our highly-skilled, solar hot water specialists, you’re assured of service and expertise that is second to none.
- Hot water is our business and we are Sydney’s leading solar hot water specialists.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater repair specialists each have over 25+ years experience.
- We are accredited service agents for all solar hot water brands including Rheem, Apricus, Quantum, Edwards Solar, Solahart and more.
- We are a local, Australian-owned, family-run business offering reliable, old fashioned service.
- If your current solar hot water heater is beyond repair we offer free delivery of a new system and complimentary disposal (and recycling) of your old water heater.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system today. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment.