Hot water system repairs and maintenance.
On a rainy day in May, we were called to a customer’s home at Beacon Hill on Sydney’s Northern Beaches where their Rheem solar hot water system had stopped producing consistent hot water.
Once onsite, our Northern Beaches hot water maintenance specialist, Steve, ran a series of tests to determine the source of the problem. The customer’s Rheem Loline solar water system (model: 511430L) had a storage tank on the ground with the hot water being heated by two solar collectors on the roof. As the weather started getting colder, the customer reported that they were running out of hot water more frequently.
Tests indicated the hot water heater’s element and thermostat were faulty.
Steve’s tests indicated that the hot water system’s element and thermostat were both faulty and required replacement. Within the hour, Steve replaced these and the customer was back enjoying trouble-free hot water again.
All other parts were tested with no further problems found.
Whilst at the property, Steve ran a series of tests including testing the pump and TPR operation. Both were operating correctly. While up on the roof, Steve also checked the solar collectors and found no problems. He cleaned the solar collectors to ensure they were operating at full potential.
If you’re running out of hot water or are encountering intermittent hot water, scroll down to read common reasons why this may be happening.
- Hot water heater thermostat repair and replacement »
- Hot water heater element repair and replacement »
Above: A new thermostat and element were installed.
The importance of hot water heater maintenance
This job highlights the importance of regular hot water heater maintenance to ensure the system is operating efficiently. We recommend our customers have their hot water system serviced every five years.
It’s important that the service of your hot water system is undertaken by a licensed hot water plumbing technician every five years to ensure your warranty remains in place. If the work is completed by an unlicensed or unathorised person, your warranty may be voided.
A hot water maintenance check doesn’t take long – usually between 30 to 45 minutes. It’s a small price to pay for peace of mind and trouble-free hot water.
Further reading: Hot water heater care and troubleshooting tips »
Common reasons why you may be running out of hot water.
Waking up to or coming home from work to find you don’t have hot water is enough to send chills (literally) up the spines of most Sydney-siders. Below we’ve listed common reasons why you have no hot water or are running out of hot water.
- Electricity supply problem : If you have an electric hot water tank, make sure it is receiving electricity. Check your circuit breaker or electricity fuse box to ensure nothing has been tripped or a fuse hasn’t blown. If this is the case, contact our friendly team for advice.
- Gas supply problem : If you have a gas hot water tank, check the gas supply is turned on and there aren’t problems with the gas line. We are gas hot water specialists and can assist if you’re not sure if this is the problem.
- Gas pilot light : If you have a gas hot water tank, check that the pilot light is on. If not, relight it according to the instructions in the manual or follow the instructions here if you have a Rheem Stellar or Rheem 5 Star gas hot water system. Not sure how to relight the gas pilot light? Contact us for assistance.
- Thermostat setting : Check the thermostat on your hot water tank is set to an appropriate temperature for hot water. Setting the temperature of your water heater »
- Electric heating element : In an electric water heater, a faulty or broken heating element can lead to no hot water. Contact us for water heater element replacement and repair.
- Gas burner : If the gas burner is faulty or broken, this can lead to no hot water. Contact us for gas burner replacement and repair.
- Tank capacity : If the capacity of your hot water tank is inadequate you may run out of hot water or have no hot water at all whilst you wait for it to heat up again. If this is happening regularly, you may need to replace your old water tank with a larger one that is sufficient for your hot water usage requirements. Get in touch for advice on the best hot water tank to suit your usage requirements and budget.
- Faulty solar back up system : All solar hot water systems come with a gas or electric back-up system that will continue to supply hot water during cloudy days and prolonged periods of low sunshine. If there is a problem with the backup systems then, on cloudy days when there isn’t enough sunshine to heat the water via the sun’s rays, you are likely to run out or experience no hot water. Then, when the sun returns, so does your hot water supply. Problems with your solar hot water system? Contact our solar specialists for advice.
Need fast hot water maintenance?
Our trucks are on the road right now stocked with replacement hot water systems and thousands of spare parts for all electric, gas and solar hot water systems including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot and more. For cost effective hot water maintenance, contact our friendly team. We’re here to help.
READ THIS! IT WILL SAVE YOU THOUSANDS
Have you been told by a plumber or hot water company that your hot water system needs to be replaced – at a considerable cost?
If so, contact the hot water specialists here at Cheapa Hot Water for advice. Over the years we have saved countless customers thousands of dollars by undertaking cost-effective repairs to faulty hot water heaters when they had been told they couldn’t be fixed. Don’t believe us? We can put you in touch with these customers for verification.
A phone call to Cheapa Hot Water may save you thousands! Call 0410 693 532 to speak to a hot water specialist now.
- Hot water heater unitrol valve repair and replacement »
- Hot water heater thermocouple repair and replacement »
- Hot water heater gas burner repair and replacement »
- Hot water heater TPR valve repair and replacement »
- Hot water heater tempering valve repair and replacement »
- Hot water heater element replacement »
- Hot water heater thermostat repair and replacement »
- Hot water heater pump repair and replacement »
Cheapa Hot Water Sydney
Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we repair and install hundreds of hot water systems in homes across all Sydney suburbs.
- We offer free delivery of your new hot water system and complimentary disposal and recycling of your old water heater.
- As one of Sydney’s largest hot water system suppliers, our enormous buying powers and ability to buy direct from the manufacturer means we can pass attractive savings on to our customers.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater installers have over 25+ years of experience each. We are fully insured and pride ourselves on our old-fashioned customer service.
- We are accredited service agents for all the hot water heater brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot and more.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste time and money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system today. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment.
Your hot water heater is an expensive appliance. Don’t risk voiding your warranty.
Additionally, most manufacturers won’t cover the terms of your hot water system warranty if it isn’t installed by a licensed hot water technician or qualified plumber. Hot water tanks are an expensive appliance so why would you risk voiding your warranty by installing it yourself or employing the services of someone who isn’t licensed?