Solar hot water Northern Beaches.
These elderly customers, located in Forestville on Sydney’s Northern Beaches, had started running out of solar hot water on a regular basis.
Even during weeks of sunny weather, they were having to watch and conserve their hot water usage. This was highly unusual as it was just the two of them.
When contacted by the customer, John spent some time on the phone trying to understand what was causing the problem with their solar hot water system and how it could be solved. This proved difficult as the customers weren’t sure of the make and model of their rooftop solar hot water system.
John organised a time to personally visit them at their Forestville home the next day.
Once onsite, it became evident that the old rooftop solar hot water system was very old – potentially 25-30 years. Unfortunately, things were not looking good for the customers as spare parts for hot water heaters of this age are no longer manufactured and there is typically no option but to replace them with a new system. This caused the customers some concern as they were both pensions, so the cost was a consideration.
John got up on the roof and it quickly became evident that there were numerous problems. It was time for a new solar hot water system to be installed.
Thankfully, new solar hot water systems are eligible to claim generous rebates via the Federal Government’s Small Scale Renewable Energy Scheme. This scheme was introduced to encourage individuals and small businesses to install or upgrade renewable energy hot water systems. Solar hot water heaters and air source heat pumps are appliances that are applicable to claim rebates under the scheme.
By installing a new solar water heater, the customer was eligible to claim STCs thereby reducing the purchase price, and potentially saving the customer thousands. Needless to say, the customers were relieved to hear this!
Scroll down for more information about STCs.
Whilst these customers aren’t high hot water users, if they opt to sell their home in the future, the hot water usage requirements of future potential purchasers should be considered. For example, it’s no use installing a small 45-litre hot water system in a family home. The customer understood this and, after John explained the range of solar hot water systems available, the customer chose the Rheem solar Hiline stainless steel hot water heater with electric boost (model: 52L300/2L).
The Rheem Hiline 52L Series solar hot water system directly heats water as it passes through collectors and rises back into the storage tank. Gas or electric boost options are available for days when the sun doesn’t shine.
This Hiline 52L300 rooftop hot water system has a storage capacity of 300 litres and services 2-5 people. It has a stainless steel tank and is available in 4 x COLORBOND colours.
- Attend Forestville home to assess problems with rooftop solar hot water system not producing hot water.
- Assess the site for safety and take appropriate actions.
- Disconnect the solar hot water system from electrical supply at the meter. Retest for load at the system with an external device.
- Drain and remove old rooftop solar hot water system.
- Supply and install new Rheem solar Hiline stainless steel hot water heater with electric boost (model: 52L300/2L) back in the same rooftop location.
- Install 15mm RMC duo valve to comply with Australian plumbing standards.
- Install 15mm RMC solar tempering valve to comply with Australian plumbing standards.
- Reconnect the new solar hot water system to the existing boost power circuit.
- Adjust and reconnect the cold and hot water pipework.
- Commission and test the new hot water system.
- Collect and complete solar hot water rebates papers (STCs).
- Clean up the site and remove any associated rubbish.
- Recycle the old solar hot water system.
NO SOLAR HOT WATER?
Based in Warriewood, we are the Northern Beaches’ solar hot water specialists. With 25+ years of expertise, we’re happy to help and provide advice so you make the right decision when it comes to repairing or replacing your hot water heater. Our trucks are on the road right now, stocked with thousands of spare parts and replacement solar hot water heaters to get you back enjoying trouble-free solar hot water today.
Don’t hesitate to contact our team for the helpful advice you can trust.
How does the Small Scale Renewable Energy Scheme work?
The Small Scale Renewable Energy Scheme works through the creation of small-scale technology certificates (STCs). The amount of CO2 emissions saved or generated by an appliance are calculated into STCs. Each STC represents 1 megawatt hour (MWh) of electricity displaced over a 10 year period. The number of STC’s created varies with the size and model of solar water heater and the region (or zone) in which the unit is installed. The value of an STC is not fixed and varies depending on market factors.
- How does solar hot water work?
- What are the different types of solar hot water systems?
- Solar hot water rebates – claiming STCs »
- How long does it take to install a solar hot water system?
- How does electric or gas boosted solar hot water work?
- We saved a customer $7,000 on her solar hot water heater repair »
- Help, my solar hot water backup system is not working »
- No hot water in cold weather or winter?
- Solar hot water system replacement service »
- Why don’t I have hot water when it’s cloudy?
- How reliable is solar hot water?
Cheapa Hot Water Northern Beaches
Hot water is our business – it’s not a sideline. Each year we install and repair thousands of hot water systems in homes and businesses on the Northern Beaches and across Sydney.
- Based at Warriewood, we are a local hot water company and can quickly provide onsite assistance to customers on Sydney’s Northern Beaches and North Shore.
- We offer free delivery of your new hot water system and complimentary disposal and recycling of your old water heater (where applicable).
- As one of Sydney’s largest hot water system suppliers, our enormous buying powers and ability to buy direct from the manufacturer means we can pass attractive savings on to our customers.
- Our fully qualified, licensed hot water heater installers have over 25+ years of experience each. We are fully insured and pride ourselves on our old-fashioned customer service.
- We are accredited service agents for all the hot water heater brands including Rheem, Dux, Rinnai, Aquamax, Bosch, Conergy, Hocking, Apricus, Vulcan, Edwards Solar, Solahart, Everhot and more.
- We are qualified to undertake all the plumbing and electrical work required to install a new hot water system. There is no need to waste time and money employing multiple trades.
- We have all the equipment needed to install your hot water system quickly. We don’t have to hire or wait for other trades to arrive with the required equipment. Ask about same day assistance.
- We supply a huge range of gas, solar and electric HWS and guarantee to bet any genuine hot water system price with fast and free delivery.